Wednesday 10 December 2014

Day 10 - Ren'py to android via windows 8

Wanting the game to look nice on mobile and knowing I'd have some time today I decided to test my game on my android phone and tablet today.

It's a good job I had some time, as it took a good few attempts. I was expecting teething issues as I've done a little work with eclipse on windows and android before, which had complications. I ran into problems pretty much immediately:

Ren'py to android attempt
Ren'py to android attempt
I have a lot of screenshots and photos of errors, here is a sample of some of the other attempts:

Ren'py to android attempts

Ren'py to android attempts

Ren'py to android attempts

Ren'py to android attempts
Looking for android.bat

I spent a while on the Lemmasoft forums: lemmasoft.renai.us and the official docs http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/android.html

The first thing I changed was my project name as it had numbers in, which I wanted to eliminate as a potential problem. I then realised I had the wrong java dev kit (JDK) installed - 32bit version is required at the moment. I moved the Ren'Py directory to C:\ rather than in my user folder. Well none of these things has helped all that much in Windows 8, I'm still getting a Access is Denied error even with new shorter path and re-installs and running ren'py as administrator.

Luckily I have a Windows 7 system to hand (I hear this whole process is much smoother on linux, so that is probably the way to go!) and with a little bit of manual intervention - running the sneaky android.bat! - I got a successful build!

Once I had my apk file I dropped it into Google drive and downloaded it onto my phone and tablet. It was all worth it, as I think I've now made the decision to change my screen resolution to 1280 x 720.

Bugs 20 Tech 3 Design 0

No comments:

Post a Comment